Sunday, August 16, 2009

First love

Time for some more random things about Zach:

1. Zach has declared his love for someone other than Scott or me. Tonight, as he was heading home after bouncing on our neighbor's trampoline, he said "You know what Laura? I love you." Apparently he didn't even turn around, just kept walking. Now Laura, being a bit more wise at the age of eleven, simply said "thanks Zach." Fortunately Zach is too little to know that's generally not the ideal response to a declaration of love, so his heart has been spared for a few more years.

2. A long time ago I read somewhere that some wily horses inhale deeply to expand their stomaches when they are being saddled, so that they don't get cinched tightly and could even let the saddle slide right down their sides. I'm reminded of this often when I'm putting Zach in his carseat, when he takes a deep breath to blow his chest out as I'm tightening the straps.

3. Zach loves to give driving instructions. It's rather unsettling to have someone yell "STOP" for no apparent reason when you're obliviously cruising along. He also loves to tell me to go when the light is still red, even though he knows perfectly well I need a green light. But I think my favorite is when he tells me to go faster... I think he gets that from me. Similarly, he now thinks that if someone is driving along next to me, we must be racing. So he asks me if I'm going to win, and I love a challenge.

4. Whenever we drive past the Metrodome, we point it out to Zach, and tell him that's where the Twins play. One of the last times we drove by, he pointed it out before I could mention it. And then he proceeded to tell me that maybe he could play there someday when he was big (which is his new thing - he talks a lot about what he'll do when he's big). I asked what he'd play, or something like that, and he said: "Yes, but first I'll say Mama, I need your hand to cross the street. And mama will say - just a minute Zach, I'm working on something. And I'll say MAMA!! I need your hand to cross the street!"

5. Zach is learning funny "hip" (and yes, I use the term loosely) phrases, and often using them correctly. He has told us certain things are "sweet", and he just asked Scott "how cool is that Daddy?"

1 comment:

Sarah, Brien, Aiden and Ava said...

He is so funny! I love that he said, "...and Mama said, 'Just a minute, Zach, I'm busy with something'"....hilarious! I feel like I'm saying that to my kids all the time!