Thursday, February 25, 2010

The pillow impact

I never made the connection that it's the pillow that causes bedhead, until Zach started sleeping in his new bed with a pillow and waking up with the craziest hair. This is this morning's display... particularly spectacular since I think his hair was a little damp when he went to bed:


In general, I'd have to say the transition from the crib has gone pretty well. Zach is pretty good about staying in his bed; so far we haven't had to deal with putting him back in his bed over and over again at bedtime. However, no one in our house is getting to sleep through the night most nights, for two Zach-related reasons: his refusal to use covers and his need to go to the bathroom.

Now I know we're supposed to be thrilled he wakes up at night to go to the bathroom. I know. But since our other child likes to wake me up at random times throughout the night, I would prefer to not also be wakened by "Mommy! Daddy! I have to go potty!" It's not every night, he's still sleeping in a diaper for good reason, but it's enough.

And the other reason he wakes up just plain drives me crazy! Zach has always been attached to a blanket he's had since he was a baby - a nice heavy, soft blanket that he's slept with since he stopped sleeping in a sleep sack. So I knew he'd want it in bed with him, I just didn't realize he'd insist it continue to be his only cover. And since he's getting too big for it, he can't keep it on during the night, and when he wakes up he'd rather yell for us to come and cover him up again rather than try to figure out how to do it himself. Sigh. I really thought the Lightning McQueen sheets would be an enticement... but while he likes to sleep on them, he's clearly not planning to sleep under them any time soon.

No comments: