Monday, June 28, 2010

Grandparents visit and "four minutes!"

I've got some catching up to do. I haven't even mentioned my parents' recent visit, and that was almost two weeks ago already!

I decided to surprise Zach with his grandparents' arrival. This was partially because I thought he'd really enjoy it when we all showed up to pick him up from school. But it was also for my benefit, since it meant I could avoid the "how many days until...?" questions that I usually field for days and days beforehand.

I told Zach I'd have a surprise when I picked him up, and he immediately guessed it was M&Ms. His next guesses were cupcakes and cookies. When I asked why he thought the surprise was food, he thought for a second and then said "Is it Dinoco Lightning??!?!?" (a version of Lightning McQueen he'd been coveting.)

Sure enough, his face was priceless when he saw G&G behind me at school. And when we asked if they were a better surprise than M&Ms, he didn't even hesitate when he said yes. :)

We had a great time while my parents were here, filled with all of Zach's favorite things to do - outings to parks, lots of time playing cars with both his grandparents, etc etc. And, as they usually do, my parents encouraged Scott and me to go out on our own, which we happily took them up on. We decided to see if our friends Matt and Jenny would like to join us, as a "last hurrah" before their baby came - Jenny was due 4 days later. So the four of us had a rare kid-free dinner out at a very old-school steakhouse - a great time.

Our dinner was even more fun for me when we got to be a part of counting minutes between contractions... turned out Jenny was in labor that very night! Since I never had to do it, I was fascinated as Jenny kept checking her phone and saying "four minutes." She kept denying she was in labor since she'd had all sorts of contractions the weeks before, but we left the restaurant at 8:40 pm, and Reagan Caroline entered the world just over four hours later!! :)

Once again I was remiss in taking pictures while my parents were here. But as you can see, Charlie got some good snuggling time in!

No comments: