Saturday, December 17, 2011

Too-crazy glue

Today marks 20 months for our Charliebug, so we celebrated by taking him to the doctor to get his head glued back together. Oh, how I wish I was kidding.

I've blogged before about Charlie's 2 head injuries when Zach tackled him into a side table. I've since moved that table. Apparently we need to get rid of all of our wooden furniture, or else decorate everything with bubble wrap. Because today there wasn't even a big event, just a simple trip as Charlie ran towards me while I sat on the floor against a chair with wooden legs. That's all it took, one little stumble, and he looked like this:
This was taken about 20 minutes after the incident itself. He cried pretty hard, especially when we were trying to put pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding. Once we stopped doing that to see if it would clot (it did), he picked up some cars, chased Zach around for a while, and then settled under the kitchen table to play.

Once we got another good look at the gash, we headed for the doctor's office. It seemed just too wide to heal on its own. We were hoping for glue instead of stitches, and that's what we got. It works pretty darn well, except... that glue sticks to everything. Including the gauze pads the nurse was using to hold the wound together while the doctor applied the glue. So we ended up with a nicely closed up eyebrow gash, and two gauze pads glued to our son's face.

Oh, and did I mention that in order to put the glue on in the first place, they had to strap Charlie down in a straightjacket-like contraption? I'm sure you can guess what he thought of that. Unfortunately, while the glue application was quick, the removal of the glued gauze pads was not. Since the pads were so close to his eye, they had to be quite careful what they used to try to loosen up the glue. After all this, our little man was quite worn out, and fell asleep within minutes in my arms when we took him out to give him a break. So very very sad to see.

And now, other than the slightly swollen and bruised gash on his head, and the matching bruise on his cheek, you'd hardly know anything was wrong. If this had happened to me, I'd have spent the day lounging on the couch feeling sorry for myself. Charlie spent the rest of the day racing Zach in endless loops throughout our house, playing cars, and reading books. The resiliency of this kid is amazing.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Oh NOOO!! :( Speedy healing to you, Charlie!!

Kasey Noel Rose and Reagan Caroline Rose said...

Poor Charlie!! That makes me sad just thinking about him strapped down :( I would have cried too!

Sarah, Brien, Aiden and Ava said...

Hope Charlie is feeling better soon! Big hugs!

Kayelynn said...

Poor guy! Glad he's doing o.k.!