Monday, January 19, 2009

The best day

I think Saturday may have been the best day of Zach's life.

He started out the day going swimming with Scott, which he absolutely loves. I think it's the 91 degree water! Then we went to Toys R Us to pick out some gifts for his upcoming birthday. We walked in, and he said in complete awe "ohhhhh, look at this!" We put him down so he could get a better look at the toys, and all he kept saying was "Daddy - look at this!" Every time he said it, it was as if he had just discovered gold. Fortunately, he doesn't seem to understand (yet) that we could buy all of those things and take them home, so it was a pleasant outing for all of us!

After his nap, Zach and I headed to the original Broadway Pizza (complete with electric train on a raised track) to meet our friends Cindy and Caitlin (age 3). So Zach got to eat his favorite meal - pizza and milk - and then we headed to see... Elmo! Yep, Zach's first experience with Sesame Street Live.

We had told Zach that he was going to go see Elmo, but he really had no idea what he
was in for. But he did understand it was something to be excited about... on the drive to the Target Center, he kept saying "Caitlin, we're going to go see Elmo!" Finally she said, in the driest tone possible, "Zach, you already said that." :)

I wish I had brought my video camera and just recorded Zach's face for the first five minutes of the show. It was similar to how you see girls reacting in the footage of Elvis concerts. The characters were introduced one by one, and as each one came out, his eyes got bigger, and he kept turning to me and saying "Mom - Bert! Mom - it's Ernie!" He was on his feet, clapping and leaning so far over the seat in front of us I had to hang on to his shirt. I got a little teary, seeing how darn happy that goofy little red monster made him. So thank you Cindy and Caitlin, for a great birthday present for Zach!

(PS... I apparently wasn't thinking that day, as I didn't bring my camera. But Cindy did, so perhaps some of her pictures captured his excitement!)

1 comment:

Kayelynn said...

This does sound like the best day! He is one lucky kid! So fun! My boys would love that pizza place with the train!