Monday, January 19, 2009

My name is Zach

I took Zach to the doctor today for his 2 year check-up. At one point the doctor commented that he was very articulate, so it seems appropriate that I share a few of the latest things that have come out of his mouth...

As I was checking in at the doctor's office, Zach leaned up against the lower counter, with his chin barely reaching the top. He looked at the receptionist and said "hi, my name is Zach." First I laughed, because I have no idea where he gets this - we've never made a big deal out of him introducing himself, and I didn't even prompt him. Although now that I think about it, he also asked our cashier at Target what her name was, the same question he asked the doctor. Apparently he's realizing everyone has names! Anyway... back at the doctor's office - I got irritated, because the receptionist was totally ignoring him!!! How can a person not respond to that cute little voice coming out of that short little person??? I know, I know, not everyone thinks my child is as fascinating as I do, but come on!!

At least this afternoon he got a more appropriate response; this time I was checking in at the YMCA, and he did the same thing (I never noticed how many places have a low counter... probably not intended for kids, but it sure works well for Zach). This time, the woman greeted him and returned the favor by introducing herself. Zach looked quite proud of himself.

We've also had some funny awwww moments lately. We've been reading the book Guess How Much I Love You pretty much since the day we brought Zach home, and only lately has he seemed to really get it. He's been telling us he loves us "this much" - while stretching his arms out wide. So one day when Scott said it to him, Zach's response was "that's a lot of much, Daddy!"

Doctor's visit basics: we have a healthy kid. He weighs 28 lbs even, and is 35 inches tall (I can't believe he's almost three feet tall!) He's on the same growth curve he's always been on - 50th percentile for weight, around 75th for height. Which I do not understand, since he seems shorter than most kids his age, and still fits into a lot of 18 month clothes. No shots at this appointment - hurray!

No comments: