Tuesday, March 30, 2010

34 weeks and road rash

Don't worry, the road rash isn't mine. It is, of course, Zach's. What is so funny about it, to me anyway, is that he somehow managed to get it on the slope of his nose and on his upper lip. And all he did was fall while running down the street. Did you know this was even possible? When he fell (twice), I was thinking chin, lower lip and/or teeth - expecting to see some blood. Nope - our kid manages to fall on the upper part of his nose and his upper lip - the tip of his nose was unscathed! I know the picture doesn't do it justice; it was hard to capture and it has already had a chance to heal for two days. But it does amaze me.

My babycenter.com update tells me this about our baby, who as of Sunday was at 34 weeks:
Your baby now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds and is almost 18 inches long. His fat layers — which will help regulate his body temperature once he's born — are filling him out, making him rounder. His skin is also smoother than ever. His central nervous system is maturing and his lungs are continuing to mature as well. If you've been nervous about preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine.

All good to know, especially the part about being mostly ok if he came early. Whew. Then I read this: By this week, fatigue has probably set in again, though maybe not with the same coma-like intensity of your first trimester. Are they kidding me? Fatigue may have set in?? Not as intense as the first trimester??? I am trying to remember what this stage of pregnancy was like the first time around, and I vaguely remember not being particularly productive at work in the afternoon, and crashing on the couch as soon as I got home. But this time??? Maybe it's just how different the circumstances are, but by mid-afternoon every day I'm basically incapable of not taking a nap. And doing so does not even seem to help, I'm still fairly useless the rest of the day. And I still have 5+ more weeks to go!!

But, other than the fatigue, everything is going well. Unlike the first time, my blood sugars are remaining under control - hooray! I often have to set the timer on the microwave in order to remember to do the old finger prick at the right time. So now when the timer goes off, Zach says "Mama - are you going to taste your blood sugar now?" Close enough, I guess.

This last picture of Zach is another one where he wanted to get involved when I pulled out the tripod for the "belly shot." This time he wanted one on his own - with the timer though, I couldn't just take the picture. After a few of his cheesy grin/grimace, I talked him into laughing instead of smiling - this is the result. We're getting there.

1 comment:

Sarah, Brien, Aiden and Ava said...

You look great, Liz! You can't tell you're fatigued! :) Zach is such a cutie in the laughing picture! He's quite the ham! We can't wait to meet your new little guy in a few short weeks!