Thursday, March 18, 2010

35 Surprise

Scott's birthday was the Tuesday we were in Florida. And while I know he doesn't need me, or anyone, to make a big deal out of his birthday, I was feeling badly that the best I could do was tote a card along to give him on his big day. And sure, just being on vacation in a sunny spot is probably enough of a celebration, but since this was his big 3-5 I just couldn't let it go.

Knowing my husband's love of waterparks and just being surrounded by friends, I decided to try to surprise him by combining those things. I won't bore you with the details, but let me just say it was more complicated than I thought. Fortunately our friend Adam came through with some platinum points at a local hotel chain that had a waterpark. It could only be described as a waterpark if you are less than 4 feet tall, but it was better than nothing. And since none of us have fun if the kids aren't having fun, we might as well do our best to keep them happy too. And I think we accomplished that!

I also realized how difficult it is to keep a secret from Scott! Besides the fact that I'm used to telling him the more minute details of my life, there was the fact that any information that reached Zach was very likely to find it's way to Scott - quickly. I am still shocked that Zach didn't tell Scott about the cupcakes I made; although I think it helped that I didn't tell him why I was making them, never told him not to tell Scott, and immediately hid them out of sight - hoping he'd forget about them! And he did - whew. But the drive down to the hotel was long... with both of them wondering where on earth we were going, but only one of them asking over and over and over again. I'll let you guess who that was.


^ Zach & Kasey enjoying a ride; dads with kids

^Kasey has learned that birthdays = cake, and I think she just might be happy about it.

^Sylvia's 73rd time down the slide; Scott on the one true waterslide

No comments: