Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Kiddo updates

I'll start with Zach, with a few random stories to capture for posterity...

One day Zach and I were playing with a soft sponge-like ball that he was able to catch really well. I commented on that, and he said "my little fans would be so proud of me." Huh? Me: You have little fans? Z: No, just one - one big fan. Me: Who? Z: Daddy! Oh. That sounds about right. :)

Another baby-related question, shortly after watching an episode of Caillou: will the baby be like Caillou's sister Rosie? I said no, that our baby wouldn't be able to talk or walk right away, like Rosie can. Zach's response: can he waddle like a penguin?

While shopping for shoes one day at Kohl's, Zach picked out some Cars sandals (shocking, I know). I had him try them on and run/walk through the aisles to see if they were comfortable. He complied, and as he was running he shouted "these are the bombigity!" I thought the woman next to us was going to choke, she laughed so hard.

And another story of our little mimic. One day Zach said to me "mom, you have three choices for playing: number 1 - cars; number 2 - playing with these tools, or number 3 - playing with these other tools. Which do you choose?" I'm starting to question the experts advice that you give your kids choices as much as possible! :)

Zach is continuing to interact more with Koskie, and again, I'm hearing echoes of our own voices. Koskie has a tendency to want to sniff anything we bring into the house, especially if it's in a plastic bag. So I laughed when I heard Zach say "No pooch, those are just stickers, they're not food."

We have been spending a lot of time outside, now that this early spring appears to be here to stay. It has, however, been quite windy many days, which is not something Zach appreciates (he comes by this naturally). Scott was teasing him this morning about it, and said "you're a big wind guy." Zach immediately responded "No, I'm a little sun guy!"

Zach's biggest new achievement? Swimming! We're hoping to get pictures and/or video this week, so will provide more info shortly!

And a baby update...
I had my 36 week appointment this week. I'm now on the every-week schedule, which really drives it home that this baby is coming soon! I'll spare you the details, but basically I learned that like Zach was, this baby is extremely low already. Which is a good thing when it comes to delivery time, but not such a great thing when it comes to my own comfort for the next few weeks!

My gestational diabetes has remained under control with the diet (whew), and I should be in the clear now since your hormones tend to settle down the last few weeks of pregnancy. However, it's standard to not let a "G.D. mom" go past her due date, which is why I was induced with Zach. The same will be the plan this time: the drop-dead end date of this pregnancy will be May 10th. So I will continue hoping he'll come earlier, since the ultrasound estimates the due date as 5/2, not the established 5/9. While it would be easier for our Zach-watchers if everything was scheduled, I'd really like to see what it's like to go into labor spontaneously... trying to figure out if it's just false labor, how far apart contractions are, rushing to the hospital, etc!

No comments: