Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cars, cars & more cars

I don't think we expected Zach's love of cars to continue as long as it has. It's not like he doesn't have any other interests - he's recently discovered the fun of assembling his wooden train tracks in different configurations, is constantly drawing mazes and asking me to create some for him, always wants to play any sort of board, dice, or card game, and of course, loves any sport. And you'll often find him poring over a book. But his go-to source of entertainment remains cars.

I was trying to think of when this obesssion started. I don't remember when he first saw the movie. What I do remember is that in the summer of 2009, when he was two and a half, he showed interest in my parents' Lightning McQueen and Doc Hudson cars. So much that when we all met for a vacation in the Dells in August, my parents brought them along. And they never returned to their original home.

I wrote what follows last summer. I never posted it, thinking "I've posted enough about Zach's love of cars, it's boring." But then the other day I looked and found Zach doing this:

The cars were celebrating Snot Rod (the one in the middle; yes, that really is his name), who is apparently the best basketball player. So I thought - ok, I HAVE to write some more about cars. It's been such a huge part of his childhood thus far. And having just seen Toy Story 3 - now I'm feeling quite sentimental towards those little die-cast toys, wondering if Zach will be taking a select few with him when he goes off to college...

-----

Geniuses at Disney Pixar (written in the summer of 2010)

As we walked toward a store the other day, I looked down at Zach and had to laugh. He was wearing a Cars t-shirt, had a Lightning McQueen thingamabobby in his crocs, and a Car in each hand. And I knew underneath it all he had on Cars underwear. I also knew he could have had on his Cars shorts, sweatshirt, and sunglasses. Or perhaps his Cars sandals. Why was I laughing? Because I can remember looking at little kids covered in some cartoon character outfit from head to toe and thinking - that'll never be my kid. And here he was. Mine*.

And this was just what he was wearing that day, it doesn't take into account the other 3 or 4 shirts, the pajamas, the sweatshirts, the vest, the books, the cups, bowls, and plates, or the sheets, the potty seat, the Legos, the Geotrax set, the computer, the doodlepro, the dominoes, the playing cards, the markers, the endless assortment of stickers and coloring books... all emblazoned with Lightning McQueen and/or his friends. Oh - and let's not forget the jump rope. And it certainly doesn't count the cars themselves, of which he has just about every character. Nor does it count the toys that go with the cars... are you getting the picture?

So I have to marvel at the marketing geniuses at Disney/Pixar. They are brilliant. They've stuck that red race car on anything they can think of, knowing perfectly well that a parent/grandparent/friend will buy it for their child who happens to love the movie. Or, worst-case scenario, will buy it for the child to prevent a meltdown in a store after the child has seen it and is insistent upon having it. (I'm happy to say we have been able to avoid this particular scenario.)

And even more genius... they now create toy cars for characters that are barely in the movie! A friend of ours bought a little pink Cars car for Zach, to marry his love of Cars and his love of pink. And of course, he was thrilled. But we, including Zach, had NO IDEA who this little car was. And we've seen the movie zillions of times! Scott sort of recognized her, and when we searched on-line, there she was... Chukie, the Japanese news reporter who is in the movie for all of 2.3 seconds. I kid you not. Yet there on the shelves at Target was Chukie, and Zach is now a proud owner. (an update... now in February of 2011 Zach has about 10 of these types of cars - ones who barely register in the movie)

And now those marketing gurus have gone beyond the movie. Zach's current favorite (ok, second-favorite) car is one that does not even appear in the movie. Nope, not at all. So who is she, you ask? Well, she's in one of the short films Pixar has created to tide all these kids over until the second full-length feature comes out (Cars 2 - appearing in probably every theater near you on 6/24/11). Zach has not only seen this short film on YouTube, he also owns the book. Yep, a book and a short film. You read that right.

I confess letting my kid be a walking advertisement for Disney/Pixar is only one example of things I thought I'd never do as a parent. It just seemed so commercial and so... unnecessary. Indulgent - and I am not an indulgent person. So while I can honestly say I've bought less than 5% of the Cars merchandise and paraphernalia Zach now owns, that's not even the point. Because I understand WHY everyone loves buying Zach Cars things, I truly do because I'm constantly tempted to do the same. And the answer is so very simple - because NOTHING makes Zach happier. True, down-to-his-toes happy. And who doesn't want that??

And the truth remains, I will always be grateful to both the creators of Cars and those marketing geniuses. All I have to do is remember the five long weeks Zach was in that [expletive deleted]cast. When watching the movie or playing with his new cars was the ONLY thing that would bring the spark back to the unfamiliar, pale imitation of the boy he'd been before he broke his leg (see the picture at right). The child he is now, when he's on the floor, using his imagination to create all sorts of conversations and scenarios as he races those darn cars all over the house, the car, the driveway, the new slide. So bring on more cars, bring on the Lightning McQueen toothbrush, socks, shampoo - whatever. My son is happy.

*yes, I am aware that Zach has two parents; I give full credit for many things to Scott. And while Scott may or may not agree with what I write on this blog, I prefer to just represent my own views!
---------
Back to present day. Zach and I finally tackled something I've been meaning to do for a while - count how many cars he actually has. The final count:

Disney/Pixar Cars (ie the ones with eyes): 44
Hot Wheels and similar cars: 48
Grand total*: 92


* This total does not include the other various cars, trucks, and certainly not the trains he owns; nor the Lego or the Geotrax Disney/Pixar cars. I know for sure that we are currently missing some, like DJ and the original Doc Hudson; who knows how many faceless ones are hiding somewhere in the nooks and crannies of our house and cars. A safer estimate is probably a solid 100 cars. Wow.

1 comment:

Kayelynn said...

Wow! This looks like boy heaven! The ramp in the driveway looks like so much fun!