Sunday, February 13, 2011

A summer day

I know it's not very interesting to post about the weather, but when you live in a place like Minnesota, the weather can have quite the impact on your life. And today was one of those days!

It was 48 degrees here today. It hasn't been even close to that warm since November 11th, according to our weather reports. I wish they had said how many days we've had in the thirties; I'd guess I can count them on one hand. So a day like today felt almost like summer, and we acted accordingly.

First Scott, Zach, and Charlie went swimming while I ran (ok, these activities were indoors). Then Zach played outside while Scott washed our cars. That's right - he washed the cars by hand, in the driveway, with our hose! I wish I'd thought to run out there with the camera; it must have been a funny sight to see him washing the cars with the shrinking but still tall snowbanks in the background.

Then Zach, Koskie and I walked to the park. Well, mostly we ran, since Zach doesn't do much walking. The park was a funny sight - the walkways through the park had clearly never been plowed, and the snow was up to the bottom of the swings and the benches of the picnic tables. When we walked to the playground, our boots kept disappearing into the snow, but we made it. Zach went down the slide a bunch of times and did some climbing too. And Koskie had a blast - bounding through the snow, sticking his head deep to find the snowballs I threw for him.

Now we just need a few more days like this and I just might make it through this winter!

No comments: