Sunday, June 17, 2012

Dads and Pah-Pahs


Long before I met Scott, whenever I thought about having kids, I pictured having boys.  Not that there is anything wrong with girls (I am one, after all!), but because the idea of sons just seemed to fit.  And then I met Scott, and recognized very quickly he was going to be a wonderful dad to whatever children we were lucky enough to have.  And then came our two boys - we're blessed in so many ways.

I've learned all the reasons I wanted boys remain true to this day, and all the reasons I thought Scott would be a fun and loving dad have also proved to be true.  But there is one more reason I'm thankful we have boys, one that never really occurred to me before I had kids.  Until I was faced with the daily challenge of raising young, rowdy, impetuous boys into responsible, respectful, compassionate, principled MEN.

But I can rest assured of one thing: I know I will be sending my sons into the world with the best possible role model of what it means to be a man, and all the roles that come with being a man.  There could be no better example of what a dad, husband, son, brother, friend, and contributing member of society should be than Scott.  And that makes me sleep a little easier at night!

And while our boys don't get to see their grandfathers in person as much as any of us would like, technology really helps us with making sure Zach and Charlie know their grandparents.  Charlie clearly believes we have an iPad so he can FaceTime his grandpas; when we ask if he wants to call grandma, he always says "No, PAH-PAH!!!"

And there's nothing he loves more than seeing their faces!  So we're thankful we have the ability for the boys to both see and talk to their "pah-pahs", get to know the unique people they both are, and all the things they can learn from them.

Happy Father's Day to all my boys' male role models!

No comments: