Friday, September 28, 2012

Random everyday moments

I find myself most often blogging about events, or updates on the boys' latest triumphs and misadventures.  So when I came across a random grouping of photos, I thought I'd use them to talk about some of the small moments of our days.

This first picture is actually from our return trip from Montana.  But it represents something we see every single day, multiple times a day at our house - Charlie trying to be just like Zach.  I snapped the shutter a couple seconds too late, so I didn't get Charlie staring at Zach, trying to arrange his body so they were laying exactly the same way.  Serious "monkey see, monkey do" type stuff!  It amuses us most of the time, although of course Zach has a few habits we would prefer Charlie not mimic.  :)

While Zach no longer goes to school with his buddy Brett, we try to get them together regularly.  Here are all the brothers (Riley, Brett, Zach & Charlie) enjoying build-your-own ice cream sundaes!

If you've never experienced true chaos, I invite you to our house.  Particularly between 4 and 5:30 PM. The noise level is over the top, and the constant motion is enough to make me tired just watching.  It does not, however, tire the boys out.  They seem to have reached a stage where they really want to play together, but they don't necessarily know how to do so without someone crying or yelling "ow".  It doesn't help that the things they want to play must involve a ball, running, throwing, wrestling, and especially jumping.  9 times out of 10 this ends badly.  It often makes me wonder why it was again, that we thought two kids would be a good idea?  Then one of them makes the other laugh in the way that only they can, and I remember.  Must hang on to those moments!
A rare photo of Charlie not moving; the result of a nap-less afternoon followed by a short trip in the car.  It did give me a good chance to cut his finger and toenails, which isn't fun to do when he's awake and aware.  :)

Our days are settling into a new routine - Charlie and I trudge out to the bus stop each morning with Zach, with Charlie yelling "Zach's bus!!!  Bye bye Zach!!!" at the top of his lungs, and Zach smiling with a combination of embarrassment and enjoyment.  Charlie's weekly morning adventures include an ECFE class (with me), speech therapy (at home), and his "Terrific Two's" class* (without me).  We also try to fit in some good solo playtime, some time playing together, and some gym and shower time for me.  It amazes me how many days I find myself racing home to meet Zach's bus at 11:20.  I'm so glad he's the last one off the bus!!

We fill the rest of the day with lunch and ideally, some outside playtime.  Then while Charlie naps Zach has some solo playtime and/or some tv-watching time, or we might work on a project or play a game or two, and then it's his favorite time of day - when the neighbors get home from school!  Pictured above is Katie, our neighbor across the street, who has played with both boys most afternoons lately.  As I think I mentioned before, she is a great sport, and does a tremendous job balancing the two boys and their very different ideas of how/what to play.  Happy moments for the boys.

* Charlie appears to absolutely love his class.  When I was signing him in this week, he said "bye bye mama!" moments after he walked in the door!  Separation anxiety?  What's that??  I am also intrigued by his ability to do the sign-in procedure; I thought it was a fluke the first time but he's repeated it... At his spot at the table is a small whiteboard with his name written on it and magnet letters that spell his name, but scrambled out of order.  He is supposed to put the magnet on the matching written letter - and he does it!  This from a kid who argues with me that all letters are "As"!!

Anyway, it's very fun to pick him up; when Zach and I get there the class is usually finishing up their music time.  When we walked in this week, Charlie was very intently watching the teacher, his eyes trained on her as she did the gestures for "I'm a Little TeaPot," his arms all bent at his sides.  When the song broke into free dance time - he got his groove on.  And then he sees us and comes running with a happy yell... another moment I love!

No comments: