Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Zach's pumpkin project - an update

Remember the idea of cutting the top off a pumpkin, sticking dirt in it, and waiting to see if a vine would grow?  I was darn skeptical, and was about to throw the moldy, stinky pumpkin out when I noticed... a vine!!

Upon closer inspection, we had two vines.  I was done with the mold, so it was time to move these little sprouts into a regular old-fashioned pot.  As I cut that yucky pumpkin apart, we found a third vine, growing out of those yummy little pumpkin seeds.  Zach was pretty darn excited - so I'm calling this project a success no matter what happens from here!

The three baby vines are in the basement by a window that gets what little afternoon sun there is in the winter, so we'll keep our fingers crossed this project continues!






PS... A little advice if you ever decide to give this a try: if you have a dog who isn't particularly brilliant and/or considers things like wood chips a delicacy, keep him/her away from the pumpkin.  While I was cleaning up the pumpkin parts, Koskie decided to swipe and eat a small piece of moldy pumpkin.  Within 30 minutes he was puking it back up.  Sigh.

No comments: