Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The rest of our time with "ga"

Let me see if I can quickly summarize the rest of the fun we had while staying with my parents. But first, I want to thank them again for their never-ending generosity. We pretty much took over, both the house (toys everywhere!) and the schedule (Zach wants to eat/sleep, Zach eats/sleeps). And my wonderful parents just took it all in stride, and made the most of their time with Zach. It was great to see - makes me wish, as I always do, that they were geographically closer! But instead I'll just continue to be thankful that Zach had the time to really get to know "ga" - as he dubbed them both.

On to our adventures! Besides the towns I already mentioned, we also managed to get to Hastings, and then went to Willow River State Park in WI (not far from Hudson - had no idea it was there!). I was pleasantly surprised - it has a nice lake, which is dammed to create a pretty cool waterfall. There apparently is also a natural waterfall, but we weren't up to a 4-mile round trip hike with Zach. He did, however, demonstrate his growing hiking skills on the rocky path down to the river - he barely needed to hold our hands. He also demonstrated (loudly) that he prefers to get his own way, when we had to convince him he couldn't go back down once we had navigated our way up. The joys of toddlerhood, let me tell you!

My aunt Carole and uncle Al drove over from central WI one day, to hang out with us and also my cousin Dave, his wife Mindy, and kids Hannah, Luke, and Megan. It was a great day - perfect weather, fun to catch up with everyone, but I have to admit my favorite part was watching Zach fall in love. Megan (age 8) was his absolute favorite person by the end of the day; he'd cry "me me" (I think his version of Megan) if she wasn't by his side. At one point he didn't even want me - just Megan! She was wonderful with him, it was very fun to watch. Check out the picture!

In other news, we got to see Sylvia Grace last night, now that she's happily at home. She is, of course, as precious as can be. I tell you, there's nothing like holding a sleeping newborn! Congrats again Adam and Jamie!

Next up for the Willards: part 2 of grandparent month. Scott's parents are arriving either tonight or tomorrow morning, depending on whether or not they have the energy to drive it all in one day (they're coming from Bozeman, MT). They've got lots of fun planned, so I will do my best to keep you posted on our latest adventures.

PS... if you're interested in seeing ALL the pictures I took during our "Hudson week" - you can view my snapfish album: Hudson House snapfish album

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, several people say their kids look good and are smart. The truth is only a few actually are. You got lucky.... Your kid looks handsome and happy. Your husband looks to be quite involved with him too. Good for him! You and your mother both look almost exactly as I remember. Time has been good to you both.

Thanks for sharing.
Karl Lorenz