Sunday, October 11, 2009

Life is a Highway

Well, if life truly is a highway, then we're almost to the end of this little broken femur detour. Or maybe it's a construction zone? A speed bump? A radar trap? Ok, enough of that analogy; you'll see the real reason this post is titled as it is below.

Our countdown has begun in earnest. At first we were counting the days until G&G Klicka arrived on Wednesday, knowing that time would fly by while they were here, and then we'd only have 5 days left in the cast! And we were right, it was wonderful having my parents here, for all of us. Besides the fact that there were extra hands to play with Zach, they also gave me the opportunity to do things like run to Target on my own. Exciting, I know!

Best of all, Scott and I got to go curling Friday night! That's right, it's curling season already. We started out the season with a win, although not exactly a strong one. But hey, it was the first time we've thrown rocks in six months! I can't tell you how good it felt to be out of the house, able to forget for a short time that we were the parents of a child in a spica cast. Instead we were just two curlers, having fun with our teammates Adam and Jamie, savoring a few drinks to celebrate our win (and drown our sorrows over the Twins painful loss). So a big thanks to my parents for making it all possible.

I didn't even bring my camera out once while my parents were here! Perhaps that's because if I had, all you would see is pictures of Zach playing cars. Despite the fact that I've said it many many times, I think my parents were still surprised that playing cars is literally all Zach wants to do! It's the first thing he says when he wakes up in the morning and from his nap, and he exacts a promise from us before he goes to sleep that he can play cars when he's done sleeping.

Zach's interest rose to a whole new level when my parents got here, since they brought him pretty much all of the characters from Cars, as well as a playmat that depicts the setting of the movie. Last week he had two of the major characters from the movie, and a few of the minor ones too. Now he has almost all of them - the stars and the supporting cast; and he definitely has new favorites. He will sit there with a few of the cars and quote the lines from the movie - basically recreating some of the scenes. Scary. I will take a picture of him and all his new favorites soon.

I did pull out the video camera a few days ago, to capture a new song Zach likes to sing. From the soundtrack of Cars, of course...

Spica cast days completed: 31

Extremely malodorous spica cast days remaining: 4

1 comment:

Sarah, Brien, Aiden and Ava said...

Ha! How funny! Wow...only 5 days to go! Yay! You're almost there! Go, Willards, Go! :)