Friday, May 6, 2011

A mother's day cookbook

Zach came home from preschool yesterday with mother's day gifts for me. One was a banner with his handprint on it, now proudly hanging on our front door. The other was a packet of paper labeled "Happy Mother's Day Cookbook! Created by Salem Preschool Children." I was quite intrigued... how did the kids make a cookbook?? No one ever asked me for any recipes, and Zach certainly doesn't know any! What could it be?

What is it? Hilarious, that's what. The teacher asked each kid "what is your favorite thing mom makes for you, and how does she make it?" She did not alter their responses - they are straight from the babes' mouths. Here is Zach's:

Pizza
by Zach
You need cheese and pepperoni and sometimes I like sausage, and crust. I think mom cooks it. She puts it in the microwave for 25 minutes. Then take it out and eat it!

I can't pretend to be surprised he picked pizza, although I had to laugh, since he is never the least bit involved when I/we make pizza. And we rarely make it in the microwave! Together he and I have made muffins, cake, pancakes, french toast, eggs, cupcakes, cookies, and various meals where he's been involved in mixing and measuring. But it's the pizza that stands out. :)

Here are a few highlights from the other kids:


  • Pumpkin pie by Ava: Get a pumpkin and munch it up! She also believes the oven is at 1 degree.

  • Brayden's mom apparently puts pop (soda) in their spaghetti.

  • Hollen instructs you to cook pancakes for 10 hours. In the oven.

  • Two kids mentioned frozen waffles, which really made me laugh. They gave very explicit instructions for how to toast them. :)

  • Ainsley's mom makes scones (wow) - made of nothing but sugar. You don't even cook them - just put them on the table and eat them!

  • Elisabeth puts ham and flour in her pancakes. mmmmmm.

Happy Mother's Day a few days early!