Wednesday, January 11, 2012

24 hours

We, like much of the country, have been having an unseasonably warm winter. It's been delightful; to go to the park in January is unheard of around here (yes, we do still live in Minnesota), but we've done it! Zach has even been able to use the Christmas presents we thought would be neglected or just used in the basement until spring - his scooter, baseball bat, and tee! We've all been doing our best to enjoy this little reprieve from our typical winter. Charlie even took a ride on Zach's trike:




What a difference 24 hours makes.

Yesterday afternoon we played outside in the sun, wearing sweatshirts. The boys jumped on the neighbors trampoline, and Zach played baseball with a neighbor while Charlie took the trike ride.

This afternoon we will remain indoors, watching the snow blow around like little tornadoes. This afternoon Charlie will do little but snuggle, because once again our littlest guy is sick. Sigh.

I've been a bit worried about Charlie for a while; he's had a cough and runny nose on and off since Thanksgiving, and just hasn't seemed 100% in those little ways (like not sleeping well). His cough and nose were definitely getting worse the last couple days, and I took one look at him this morning and thought - here we go again!

Expecting to get the old "it's a virus, you have to tough it out" diagnosis, I took Charlie to the doctor anyway. Glad I did - double ear infection and some sort of respiratory virus that was causing his airways to narrow. I got to experience my first nebulizer treatment, and am not really looking forward to the future ones. Trying to keep that mask on his nose and mouth turned into quite the wrestling match, and I'm not sure I could declare a winner. Our 23-pounder is a strong little boy!

So. Charlie gets "nebbed" every 4-8 hours for the respiratory bug, antibiotics for the ear infection, and Motrin for the pain. I think that means I get a glass of wine (or two or three) tonight, since Scott is on a rare business trip and I'm on my own with this fun!

Can we please rewind 24 hours???

2 comments:

Sarah, Brien, Aiden and Ava said...

Get well soon, Charlie!

Joellyn said...

Poor guy. Hope things are looking up!