Saturday, January 16, 2010

9 Random Things

1. My sister-in-law Mandy recently blogged about our Christmas together in Montana. And I had to laugh, because she verified something I've been suspecting: that no one can really understand how much Zach wants to play cars until they've spent significant time with him. And after 6 days with Zach, Mandy, the mother of two school-aged girls, expressed her amazement at how much more obsessed he is with cars than her girls have ever been with anything. So it seems appropriate to include a picture of Zach wearing his new Lightning McQueen sweatshirt from G&G Willard, while playing a game of Cars dominoes.

2. Yesterday the temperature reached a whopping 30 degrees, so we decided to take advantage of the heat wave. We got all bundled up and waddled outside. I was full of enthusiasm - what do you want to do? Build a snowman? Go for a ride on the sled (which Zach calls a "sleigh"... hee hee)? Throw snowballs? Guess what Zach wanted to do? Don't overthink this one... go with the obvious. Yes, we played cars. Rather than romping through the snow, we remained on the dry driveway and played something we played in the summer, in the fall, and that we can just as easily play indoors. Oh well. He did have great rosy cheeks by the time it got dark!

3. Our little mimic is getting quite good; at times a little too good. I've mentioned before that I've learned to be careful what I say while driving; that boy is paying a lot of attention even if it may not seem like it! My general response to other drivers is to speak to them as if they were in the car with us; not necessarily swearing or even saying anything particularly negative, but it's something Zach has shown me I do without even realizing it. One day, Zach asked me why I said what I had said, and I did my best to explain it to him. And to Scott's great amusement, I heard it repeated back to me a couple days later: "Pay attention boys. Mama, I told them to pay attention because they were driving crazy. They weren't driving the way I wanted them to."

4. I also often hear my parenting efforts repeated back to me. I've been trying to help him consider the best way to handle a situation when two people want to do different things; say one wants to play Uno and the other wants to play dominoes. Recently I asked Zach to put his coat on, and he wanted to do something else... play cars, I would guess. So he stopped and said: mama, you want me to put my coat on, and I want to play cars. What are we going to do about that???

5. One of Zach's new favorite phrases? Darn tootin'! Guess who taught him that one? He finds endless opportunities to use it... do you like Lightning McQueen? Darn tootin! Do you have a Sammy the Sloth (while playing Diego Go Fish)? Darn tootin! Is it funny to hear out of the mouth of a not-quite three-year-old? Darn tootin!

6. We go to the library weekly to get new books and movies. And without fail, every week Zach picks out two or three of the new books as favorites, and we read them over and over again. A recent fave is a Dr. Seuss book that asks you profound questions like whether you'd rather have 6 legs or 164. I suspect this book is why Zach recently told me that he'd rather be a dog. If he was a dog, he'd say woof woof. But he'd have hands. And he'd be pink and blue. I, on the other hand, would be a green cat. There was no mention of hands for me though.

7. Zach has always assumed that any adult who comes into our home is a great friend who has come to play with him. So when a gentleman arrived to measure our upstairs for our new carpet (yippee!), Zach wanted to know if he could ask him if he wanted to see his toys. I tried to explain that he was working, just like when daddy goes to work he is there to do his job, not to play, but when the guy came back downstairs, you can imagine what came next. Fortunately the smoky, shaggy young guy played along for a few minutes. And after Zach watched him drive away in his purple mini-cooper, I expected a comment on the unusual car. Instead, he said Mama - he had a cool beard.

8. And speaking of carpet, I'm reminded of another Zach quirk, which I can't remember if I've blogged about before, and am too lazy to look. As the snow began to fall, and then get dirty and slushy, Zach has expressed his disgust over having snow and slush stuck to his shoes/boots. So now, every time we go somewhere, he asks "will they have a carpet?" Why? He wants to be sure they have a rug he can wipe his feet on when we go in.

9. My dad recently sent us a movie he made of all the video he has shot of Zach. More will be coming on that shortly, but I just had to mention a funny reaction Zach had while watching himself cavort on the tv. At one point little Zach was toddling around in a fuzzy sleeper with a dog and the number 28 on it. Immediately out of current Zach's mouth comes "Look - I'm Adrian Peterson!" For those non-NFL fans out there... #28 is indeed the Vikings star runningback.

No comments: