Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Underwear

TMI Warning: if you are not a grandparent or a parent who has recently, is currently, or will soon be potty-training your child, this post is likely too much information for you.

Days in "big boy" underwear: 3
Number of accidents: 0!!!

^ Our little (Cars) underwear model

Zach has been amazing; clearly the proverbial lightbulb in his head has gone on. He only wears a diaper at night, which he uses at some point, but then can hold his first morning pee until we get him out of bed and to the potty. I was a little worried about #2, since some kids have problems with that, but so far so good. We could have skipped the week of pull-ups entirely! Now we just have to figure out how to wean away from the M&M rewards that he currently receives for #2s and staying dry over his nap.

We've had some funny moments along the way, not even counting all the goofy nonstop chatter Zach spouts when we're in a public bathroom (like the cheering I now receive when it's my turn: "Mama! You're going potty! Yay!!). One of the surprises has been that Zach has decided he likes using the big toilet - no insert needed. Originally we had this highly-padded comfortable-looking insert, since I thought who wouldn't want more cushiness while sitting on the toilet? But we discovered fairly quickly that particular insert was not well-designed for a boy... I'll leave it at that. So I went out and got him a less-padded seat, but one with a Cars theme on it (you're surprised, aren't you?). Well, after using it once or twice, Zach started telling us he just wanted to sit on the "big" toilet. Which is crazy to me, because of the way he sits...

We learned fairly quickly that the most splash-proof method was to have Zach lean forward as much as possible when peeing. That has evolved into him sitting practically straddling the toilet, with his legs spread as far as possible, holding on to the front of the seat. At one point, while sitting like this, he looked up at me and said "this is exercise for my butt!" I would think so - it looks horribly uncomfortable! But that's what he prefers over the Cars seat that he could just comfortably sit on... and it's working, so I'm not saying a word. It also makes using public toilets easier (although very gross, watching him hanging on to the front of the seat) since he's already used to a regular toilet. So needless to say, we're thrilled. And hopeful that he's conquered this far enough in advance that we can avoid any back-sliding when the baby is born.

But I do have to say, there are things I already miss about the old days. Diapers are darn convenient, as I learned today when I had to get Zach out of his carseat right after I put him in, so we could go back into Sams and rush across the store to the bathroom (we made it - whew).

I also miss the way we used to wake up in the morning. Before we would wake to him calling out in a happy, sing-song voice: maaahhhh-my, daaahhh-dy, the sun is on and it's time to get me out of my bed! Now we are shocked out of sleep by a panicked-sounding "Mommy! Daddy! I have to go potty!" It's an adrenaline rush every morning, which is not my favorite way to wake up. And then to hear that call at 3:37 AM this morning... ugh. I know I should be happy he's starting to wake us up when he has to go in the middle of the night, but knowing there are many sleepless nights in our not-too-distant future, I wouldn't have minded him using the diaper at night for a while. It'll be interesting to see if this continues, or if it was a one-time thing. And I honestly don't know which one to hope for!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

That's great, congrats! And no accidents and no diaper over nap - great news for everyone! That's funny how he likes to sit - S loves to stand up at the potty, good target practice.

Sarah, Brien, Aiden and Ava said...

Way to go, Zach! How exciting! Give him a high five from his friends Aiden and Ava!