Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Check-ups

I had an experience today I've never had before - a fun visit to the pediatrician with Zach. We went in for his three-year "well child" visit, after preparing that morning by practicing with his doctor's kit, and reassuring him several times that he wasn't going to need any shots (whew).

Obviously the lack of shots is a big factor in making a doctor's visit more pleasant, but what made it fun was Zach himself. He was very curious about what was happening, and since he's not shy at all, was happily asking the nurse and doctor questions (everything from "what's that?" to "do you want to see my cars stickers?") and responding easily to their questions.

We had a few firsts - his first eye exam and hearing test. The nurse referred to both as games, which helped him get into the spirit. For the eye test, instead of the usual E eye chart, they used one with shapes. The nurse told him he was a pirate and had to cover one eye with the big black spoon-like instrument; so he did so while saying "ahoy matey!" He got through the entire test on his right eye, and about half of it with his left eye before he lost interest. Apparently that's pretty good; they usually don't really even try the test until the kids turn 4. We did learn his eyesight is about 20/30 in his right eye... I was happy to hear that considering his parents' vision.

Then the hearing test: they had him hold a device up to his ear and say "beep" when he heard the beep. He thought this was hilarious; I wish I'd had my camera since he was grinning away at the nurse. He passed that test with flying colors. The rest of the visit was fairly routine; I can't even remember what prompted the doctor to say "he is so cute... how can you ever say no to that face???" :)

So the stats: he weighs 31 lbs and is 37 inches tall. Both are right around the 50th percentile, which is where he's been for weight all along, and lower than the normal 60-75% he's been for height in the past. But not surprising... it's those short little legs of his! Since we've been home, he's been having a great time with his doctor's kit, which he was marginally interested in before today. I think I've gotten 27 shots today!

And the other check-up - my 24 week appointment was last week. Most was routine: weight, pee in a cup, get measured, blood pressure, etc etc. All good. Not routine was that we went over the 21-week ultrasound results. Happily, it was confirmed the placenta had indeed moved away from the cervix... goodbye threat of bedrest! And the baby looks great too, although the radiologist noted that our little guy's legs are not measuring comparably to his head. There was a lot of CYA-type language, including a reference that the disparity could be within the realm of normal depending on the height of the parents, and the suggestion that perhaps we could go in for another ultrasound in 4-6 weeks to see if the legs were growing at the same rate as everything else.

So... one of these lovely parent moments where the doctor looks at you and asks what you want to do. In her opinion - no big deal, the radiologist isn't a neonatal expert, the numbers are not that disparate, etc etc. But essentially - up to us. So while I admit we're not worried about this, we decided to take them up on the offer to see our boy again before May. So we've got another bonus ultrasound on the calendar in a couple weeks. :)

Also not routine was the dreaded glucose test for gestation diabetes (GD). For those of you who've never experienced this - consider yourself lucky. I know many many women who consider it no big deal, but I take three sips of the orange syrupy stuff and feel my stomach start moving around, ready to get rid of the offensive substance. So forcing the entire 10 oz down in 5 minutes is unpleasant at best. Since I had GD when I was pregnant with Zach, the statistics said I had about an 80% chance of having it again, despite having none of the usual risk factors. So it wasn't a great shock when I failed the test... although I couldn't help but hope I'd be the one to beat the odds!

My doctor and I had made a deal a long time ago that if I tested positive for GD again after the one-hour glucose test, I would not have to take the usual follow-up 3-hour test; instead we would just assume I had it again and get on with life. So that's what we're doing. I meet with the diabetes educator next week to get a refresher on the diet and finger-pricking process... not that I've been able to forget much! I keep reminding myself of the bright side: this diet is probably all that prevented me from gaining 60 lbs when pregnant with Zach! So carb counting, food journal, and finger pokes here we come!

25-week update from Baby Center.com:
Head to heels, your baby now measures about 13 1/2 inches. His weight — a pound and a half — isn't much more than an average rutabaga, but he's beginning to exchange his long, lean look for some baby fat. As he does, his wrinkled skin will begin to smooth out and he'll start to look more and more like a newborn. He's also growing more hair — and if you could see it, you'd now be able to discern its color and texture.

1 comment:

Sarah, Brien, Aiden and Ava said...

Wow! That's a lot in one day. Good thing you have "Dr. Zach" to watch over you! Surely, he can keep track of your carbs (I can just hear it now!). :) Hugs to you all. I'm glad you're all healthy!