Thursday, February 19, 2009

A conversation with Zach

Zach is a verbal kid. We feel very lucky, since having a two year old who can express himself as well as Zach does is very helpful when you're trying to figure out what he wants or needs. But besides that, it can be very fascinating, because you finally get a peek into your child's head, what he's thinking about the world around him, how much he can understand. And sometimes it just amazes me, when I think that just two years ago Zach didn't even know how to hold up his own head!

This is a conversation (as best as I can remember) we had this morning as we left the grocery store:

Zach: what that girl and that guy doing?
me: they work at the grocery story (followed by an attempt at briefly explaining what a cashier and bagger do)
Z: can I watch them?
me: no, we have to go home and eat lunch.
Z: with daddy?
me: no, daddy can't eat lunch with us today. just you and me.
Z: and Koskie?
me: yep, Koskie will be there.
Z: will he eat?
me: no, Koskie just eats twice a day, breakfast and dinner.
At this point, Zach wrinkled his nose and looked very puzzled by the idea of eating only twice a day. As I was loading him into his carseat, he glanced into the car next to us and said:
Z: that guy has a basketball in his car! that's weird! (pronounced with 2 syllables... "wee-yurd")
I think I commented on that, and then got in the car and started to drive.
Z: can Koskie drive?
me: uh, no, dogs can't drive.

And from there, I think he started singing something, his typical entertainment in the car. Whew.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is too funny! i just hear his squeaky little voice asking all those questions and making all the random associations. too cute!

Liz said...

Weird with two syllables makes me smile! Dad must have taught him that.. although since it was a basketball, I would've thought he might have said "co-ool."