Saturday, November 8, 2008

Umm... maybe

This morning, as I was making Zach's breakfast, he walked into the kitchen with his sunglasses strapped across his head at a funny angle and said "mama - pirate!" It was one of those moments that made me wish I had a video camera constantly running, to catch all the funny things that this boy does and says. Of course, there'd have to be a lot of editing, deleting things like tantrums and 6 am wakenings, but at least then I wouldn't forget all the fun moments.

So instead I grabbed a post-it note (notice the product placement) and jotted down some of the things Zach has been saying recently, and I'll try to capture them here.

As I've mentioned before, you do learn alot about your own speech patterns when they're echoed back at you. We've been a big chagrined to realize how much we must say "um". One culprit is the game "I Spy", since every time Zach says he spies something pink (which he always does, even if there's nothing pink in the vicinity), we say "umm... is it xxx?" But it is odd to hear a toddler say um. He's even been known to say "umm... thinking", while tapping his temple.

The one I can't figure out is "maybe". I don't think we say it very often, but yet he says it at random times. For example, this morning he wanted me to go downstairs with him, so he said "mama, downstairs. maybe?" In a way, the right context, but so weird to hear!

My other favorite recent story is from last night; we both curled so it was Adam's turn to watch the kids - Zach and Sylvia, Adam and Jamie's daughter (which Zach pronounces "Syl-wah-wah" - hee hee). We got back to their house around 11, and the dog barking woke Zach up, so he was crying by the time I got to him. He stopped when he saw me, and then looked past me and saw Adam and said "Hey-yo Adam" (he still can't say his Ls well). It was such a Zach moment, to wake up crying and then happily greet a friend.
The pics above are from our adventures this morning; he was trying to fill dad's shoes! At least he picked the good ones - Scott's UW crocs. :) And fun with the aforementioned "cool guy shades", including dressing up his kitty.

I also realized I never posted any pictures of Zach in his Halloween costume - so here are a couple, including one with just a few girls at our neighborhood halloween party.

No comments: